It’s around about now that people start talking about it being the most depressing time of the year – especially over in the UK. It’s the end of the holidays, winter is in full swing and spring feels so, so long away. So that’s why it’s even more important than ever to start thinking about the nice little things that happen each day.
Being in the middle of the hottest summer in Australia in like forever (or that’s what people are telling me anyway), we’ve been slowing things down a lot. Maybe it’s not just the heat but maybe it’s also us just enjoying the slower pace of life. So here are a few little things that I loved this week.
- My little nephew saying my name for the first time. So, so cool. It might have been over the phone and he might have been saying ‘Truck’ but I’m still counting it.
- Having Vietnamese twice in the one week. Tuesday night was Av A Chat Cafe and super lucky for me it’s only five minutes down the road. Then Friday night I found myself at a little place called The Vietnamese Restaurant in the Valley, Brisbane. It doesn’t look like much on the outside (or inside!) but I think that’s always a great sign of a very good Vietnamese restaurant. The only evidence of either meal is this – one blurryish photo of the last rice paper roll which I ate soon after.
- Having friends that drop in when their flight is delayed. Afternoon of Brisbane fun.
- Learning how to change a bike tyre and getting grease on my hands. I felt pretty handy even though I’m sure in real life it would take me 20 times longer to do it all by myself.
- Job hunting. Now usually this wouldn’t be down in my favourite things but then I think about all the things that I can do with MONEY! Like shopping, holidays and lots and lots of fun.
- This video – the earth is pretty darn awesome.
- Walking – I’ve gotten into the habit of walking with my dad and sister for an hour and a half a couple of days a week. The time flies and it’s so nice being outside at dusk. The scenery changes incredibly fast with the sun setting.
- Cherry ripes – my first one in Brisbane. Can’t believe that it’s taken me this long to have one.
So what things are you loving right now? I would love to hear from you about the little things that make you happy.